Category: Local News

Wadena's volunteer firefighters attempt to extinguish a fire inside the stack behind the bathroom wall in a house on First Street NW on Feb. 17. Heat tape is the suspected cause.

Common repair method cause for concern

By Alison Squires Two fires kept Wadena Volunteer Fire Department busy when a garage was destroyed on Feb. 10 and a house fire caused the evacuation of an elderly couple and their son exactly...

The Prairie Women on Snowmobiles sang a tune with the Pipestone Men's Choir at the supper held in Kelvington on Feb. 6.

Riding across the Prairies for a cure

By Susan Lowndes There are a dozen events you can take part in or attend to raise money for cancer research, among them Relay For Life, Movember and Golf Fore the Cure. Or you...

Search for missing sledder ends in tragedy

Search for missing sledder ends in tragedy

By Susan Lowndes On Saturday, Jan. 11, Dennis Malischewski left his home in Kelvington on his snowmobile and never returned. Searchers found him next to his machine four days later, not far from town....

Missy’s restaurant leaves Margo

Missy’s restaurant, owned and operated by Michelle Andreas, closed its doors this past fall. Once the gymnasium at Margo School, the building was relocated to Hwy.5 across from the village’s east entrance and repurposed...

Volunteers find missing snowmobiler

The Kelvington snowmobile community rallied on Monday morning to search for a local man who was last seen the morning of Jan. 11, 2014. RCMP reported Malischewski as an overdue traveller the afternoon of...